One question I believe all first time bloggers and bloggers in general ask themselves is how can I get followers? Followers are really the lifeblood and fun part of a blog. Without followers you’re basically shouting into the void. Followers bring great conversations and shared interests. So, I’ve been doing research which includes looking at tons of blogs and I’ve analyzed why I follow some blogs rather than others. As a caveat, I’ve been looking primarily at book blogs. Consider some of these things as you create your blog.
- Interesting content– all book blogs have lots of similarity when it comes to content. So, it makes sense that what really sets a blog apart is new and interesting content. I love a good discussion or blog post about something I haven’t heard of before. This concept also works no matter what topic you’re blogging about. If you’re saying the same thing as everyone else then there’s less interest.
- A desire to connect with readers– I love bloggers that seem like they want to talk with me. Blogging is a very social activity and if you never respond to anyone when they comment or seem disinterested then people aren’t going to go out of their way to chat with you.
- Evergreen Content– evergreen content is content that never really expires. Like all those My Top 5/10/20…lists. It draws me in. I can read a post that you made a year ago and still enjoy it. I’m not sure what’s so appealing about lists, but I love them.
- Visually Appealing- I love looking at well-organized, easily read blogs and I don’t think I’m alone in that one. I want to enjoy looking at your blog and navigating through it. If it’s hard to read or just really rough to look at I’ll find a different blog.
- Lots of Content- The more content the more I can read from you and the more I can learn if we have similar interests and tastes. This is really tough when you first start a blog if you don’t want to burn out. I would advise like many bloggers before me to stick to a schedule. Then, you won’t burn out, but you still have regular content coming out even if it’s just once a week.
What do you think? Are there other things you consider when deciding if you’re going to follow a blog or not?